Saturday 7 July 2012

Exciting opportunities to meet me in person

Several times in the last few days it has been suggested here that I might start a second blog in addition to this one. Even Nikki Harper seemed yesterday to be inexplicably eager to hear more of my views and opinions and asked whether I had ever considered starting a blog on the Huffington Post. Immensely flattering of course that people seem to want to hear even more from me. It is a tempting idea, but quite impractical. I am assuming that most readers are aware that I am in fact a professional writer. This blog is merely by way of being a little light relief and relaxation from the serious business of writing books. There is a definite limit on the amount of time which I am able to spare for it, because I have three books currently on the go and the deadlines for all  are looming. I really do not have the leisure to begin a new blog; no matter how much in demand such a new place appears to be, where folk could read in greater detail what I think about a variety of subjects ranging from education to crystal healing. Vox Populi, Vox Dei and so on, but I am afraid the answer will have to be ‘no‘. Do not despair though, because several more of my books have been published in the last month or two and those keen to read more of what I have to say can always buy them.


Even better, at least from the point of view of  those who are evidently so enamoured of me as an author, I have a few signings and lectures coming up this month, which will provide readers not only with the opportunity to become better acquainted with me and my thoughts on various topics, but actually to meet me in person!  Perhaps if I provide details of a few of these, readers might like to make a note in their diaries of  the dates. On Saturday, July 14th at 11:00AM, I shall be signing copies at Waterstones in Romford of my latest book, A 1960s East End Childhood;

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayDetailEvent.do?searchType=2&store=408%7CWATERSTONE'S%20ROMFORD&sFilter=1

This event is expected to be well attended, so arrive early to avoid disappointment. I shall be happy also to sign copies of Elective Home Education in the UK if any home educators would like to bring them along and will also be at liberty to receive any writs for libel that people might wish to serve!

On the evening of Wednesday, July 18th, I shall be giving a talk on the history of terrorism in this country from Queen Victoria’s reign to the present day;

http://www.housmans.com/events.php

This is to promote another of my recent books; Dynamite, Treason and Plot; Terrorism in Victorian and Edwardian London. Housman’s is not a large shop, so readers might wish to get there half an hour or so before the lecture begins if they wish to be sure of a place.

The next day, Thursday July 19th, I will be at Waterstones in Notting Hill, to sign copies of my book,  Not a Guide to Kensington and Chelsea;

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/simon+webb/kensington+26+chelsea+not+a+guide+to/8663882/

I shall be hosting a quiz, with the prize being a copy of the book itself. There is a charge for this event, although a free glass of wine and snacks will be provided.

On August 4th, I shall be at W H Smiths in the Bentall Centre in Kingston upon Thames from 11:00 to 3:00, signing copies of yet another recent book, Not a Guide to Kingston upon Thames:

http://www.whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9780752479682


There are other events, but they will be smaller affairs at independent bookshops and colleges. It is to be hoped that some of the loyal readers of this blog living in London and the south east will be able to find the time to come and meet me in person; a rare treat indeed. It will scarcely be credited, but I am even more intolerably self-opinionated in real life than I am in print! I look forward to seeing some of you soon.




3 comments:

  1. Who would be crazy enough to pay for Webb books? Maybe old crazy Badman might?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm at work surfing around your blog from my new iphone 4! Just wanted to say I love reading through your blog and look forward to all your posts! Keep up the outstanding work!

    my web site; nummerupplysningen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a
    few of the pictures aren't loading correctly. I'm not sure why but I think its
    a linking issue. I've tried it in two different browsers and both show the same outcome.

    My page youtube.com

    ReplyDelete